Wednesday, July 13, 2005

This ICE thing is getting out of hand...

OK, OK, its meant to be practical, but why do I feel that this ICE business is our wierd inhibited introvert English version of tying a yellow ribbon around our mawkish identification with the inevitability of future tragedy, like some kind of anti-talismanic bet with chaos theory, a gamble against our own demise.

What am I talking about?

C'mon, you must have had at least a couple of forwards of the ICE - In Case of Emergency email?

I've just got my 3rd or is my three hundredth,its all a blur... it goes like this:
"East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency (ICE)" campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston and in association with Vodafone's annual life savers award.

The idea is that you store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency". In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. If you want more than one contact then store ICE 1, 2 3 etc"


Ice ad campaignPosted by Picasa

Hmmmm...
Now I know it probably is a good idea but I do have a few questions, plus, call me sick if you wish, but whenever anybody mentions Simon Weston AND East Anglia I start looking for the punchline:

First, I know its macabre but something tells me that if I'm too f**ked up to say who my next of kin are the chances are my mobile isn't going to be in good shape either. While I suppose, on reflection, that mobiles should be tougher than people I do tend to ask how tough was yours the last time you dropped it down the stairs (or down a toilet come to that - a friend of mine is always doing that)...

Also if most coppers find a reference to ICE in your mobile they're probably going to assume its the number of your crack-dealer...

Plus, I've just got to ask, but what are the chances of getting picked up by an East Anglian ambulance next time some sicko decides that today London its Semtex Day - maybe its just me but I though they kind of worked round the Norwich, Ipswich, err, East Anglia-type area?

(Oh and one final thing, does the bright spark who came up with this idea have a bad sense of humour or what, bearing in mind the meaning of the slang to 'ice' someone?!?)

And that's before I even get onto Vanilla Ice...

Still I'm sure someone somewhere is saying 'cool idea' as I write this... oh: ICE - In Case of Emergency : Off Topic Forum - Travellerspoint

PS Even more finally, bearing mind that mobile phones are frequently used as timing and control devices for bombs, do YOU want to be the person searching through mobiles found at a bomb site, looking up ICE in the directory, then dialling it and inadvertently blowing up the Post Office Tower?!

3 comments:

Gordon said...

We did a story on this

http://www.brandrepublic.com/bulletins/br/article/484417/emergency-number-campaign-launched-wake-77-/

and to be honest i thought it was a good idea. One of the reports I heard was that as they brought bodies out of the tube tunnels people's mobiles started to ring.

One of the problems with this bombing, partly as as a result of the deep tunnels, is that people have had to wait and wait to find out the fate of their loved ones. Surely anything that helps is a good idea.

Besides, the guy who came up with the idea, Bob Brotchie, has been a paramedic for 13 years, and was inspired last year after struggling to get contact details from shocked or injured patients.

Dan said...

Mobile's not sturdy? Well, I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped mine onto hard surfaces and, surface damage aside, they've always been OK. I even dropped my Nokia 7110 in the atrium of Leo Burnett's, from where it bounced all the way down the escalator and landed hard on the marble floor 20 feet below. I had to click a few pieces back into place, but it didn't affect its operation. As far as I'm concerned, mobile phones and cockroaches are the only things which will survive a nuclear attack.

Gordon said...

They might survive, but you won't get any coverage...