Thursday, July 21, 2005

Justify that

Not a fan of the Independent in any way shape or form, but its front page today telling the fate of Ateeque Sharifi is worth some attention.

His parents were killed by the Taliban. He fled Afghanistan for the safety of London. He was blown up by the bomb at King's Cross. All very final destination.


No escape. Posted by Picasa

He fled from Kabul to find Britain, learnt English and worked in a pizza takeaway with most of his cash going back to his younger sister in Afghanistan. Then along come some disgruntled brain washed British Islamofacists and blow him up on the tube. Nice work.

Not sure about the juxtaposition though. Gwen Stefani? Final victim? Mmm, maybe not.

2 comments:

ChrisB said...

I thought it was a great front page (but then I am an Indy reader).

Take your point on the masthead bit on Gwen - I still think that the first Indy tabloid design made more immediate sense than the latest redesign did - though this version is visually stronger and is growing on me as it gets more fine-tuned.

Equally there was a need to move ahead othe Times as their poor copy of the first designm came on stream.

You get these odd juxtapositions inside too - for example when they are flagging a feature on top right of page 3 - so there's an article on Saddam's trial say and next to him a sort of paper interstitial for something like a Kate Moss interview further in...

Still the wierd thing is it works - this morning I first read about the tragic Afghan then whipped out the Education section and discarded it so that I could read about Gwen Stefani's fashion line and why when she copies Viv Westwood its flattery not theft!

Yeah, I know, I'm really not normal...

PS Earlier in the week it was Tracey Emin's shoe fetish (I haven't read that yet... she never struck me as a woman who would have especially great feet but on the flip side I've warmed to her enormously over the years and I always liked her lover-ly tent - so I guess that means I should be nice about her feet)

ChrisB said...

Bad taste PPS: Of course Gwen isn't the final victim - because fashion's slaughter will never end...

http://www.immprint.com/books/booksfashionforever.htm

Buyable at:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1903781086/qid=1121954199/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-1817397-5066243