Monday, June 06, 2005

O Sting, Where is Thy Death?

I was woken this morning by James Naughtie (or was it Sarah Montague? Too early in the day for me to tell) announcing free tickets to Live8. The sub-rational parts of my brain responsible for live music and free offers both coralled enough neurons to get me out of bed and scrabbling for my mobile in record time. That's when common sense kicked in. Do I really want to spend a hot summer's day in a field full of plebians watching Sir Elton John, Sir Paul McCartney, Lord U of 2, and the Sting previously known as an artist? What on earth possessed me to devote precious brain resources to such a trivial and easily-answered question?

Of course, it's all in a good cause. But then, so are Womens' Institute jam sales. This summer, I think I'm going to take the truly radical route to dissent, and join the WI.

3 comments:

Gordon said...

That was my initial thought. The line-up sucks. Okay they have the likes of Razorlight and the Killers, but it's largely the old stagers.

The Spice Girls reforming is enough to deter me. Can't we all just text a couple of quid to charity and meet down the pub?

Don't get me started on Sting. Feed the turtles.

Anonymous said...

Chill man, the Spice Girls have been nixed - not welcome here - old shaggers and new rock impressionists only (and hey guys have we got that token French black guy?)

Questrist said...

What, you mean MC Solaar?! Ah, no, It'll be the other boring bloke.