Wednesday, June 22, 2005

All time best film quotes

The American Film Institute has revealed its list of the top movie quotes of all time. They're virtually all American, other than an entry for Dr No and Sherlock Holmes (wrack your brands for those ones folks), and sitting in pride of place in the number one spot is the line uttered by Clark Gable to Vivien Leigh in the Civil War epic 'Gone With the Wind' : "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".


You know how to whistle? Posted by Hello

That beat lines form 'The Godfather' and 'On TheWaterfront'
1. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn - 'Gone With The Wind 1939

2. I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse – The Godfather, 1972

3. You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am - On The Waterfront 1954

4. Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore - The Wizard of OZ - 1939

5. Here's looking at you, kid - Casablanca 1942

6. Go ahead, make my day - Sudden Impact 1983

7. All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up - Sunset Blvd 1950

8. May the Force be with you - Star Wars 1977

9. Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night - All About Eve 1950

10. You talking to me? - Taxi Driver 1976

I' m still thinking on what my top ten might be (lists take so long, what with the rumination that is needed), but the AFI list does include one or two of my favourites. Star Wars, obviously, but also at number 34 there's 'You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow', which is the line uttered by Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Borgart in 'To Have and Have Not'.

Lists please?

4 comments:

Dan said...

There's some Marlon Brando, there's some Apocalypse now, but there's no Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now which is a bit of an ommision if you ask me, even if most of his lines weren't quite as "soundbitey" as the ones on the list, and the most memorable one was penned by Joseph Conrad.

Questrist said...

I know I have a dozen stashed in the back of my mind but thinking on it I draw a blank... However, since I'm currently sitting in a remote Finnish island I am most reminded of that scene in the 7th (?) Seal lampooned in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure where you have the knight playing chess with Death... "Your move" says Death...

Anonymous said...

I refer you to my previous post. Other Peckinpah 'Start the ball, old man.' Still in Mexico 'Badges? We have no badges. We don't need no steenkeen badges.' 'He was some kind of a man.' Sunset Blvd - 'I am big. It's the pictures that got small' blows the other one out of the swimming pool.

Brit stuff. The obvious classics. 'You're a big man but youre in bad shape. With me its a full time job. Now behave yourself.' 'Where's your tool?' Any Powell/Pressburger. Any Robert Bolt. Any line from The Third Man.

How about coolest delivery of a line? James Coburn 'I won.'

etc etc etc
(and who gives a monkeys anyway?)
PS can't remember password. Simon
PPS The Holmes movies (I've not seen the list, but I assume the Basil Rathbone ones) were American.

Dan said...

And another one... "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" from Casablanca came in at number 20, but I prefer the same line at the end of Black Cat White Cat.