Sunday, November 20, 2005

On the Grauniad grapevine

I suppose I should be pleased the city where I have my second home is finally getting some recognition and Ostend may even begin to become the next, well, East End (as much as I like it, it'll never be Provence).

So why did I sigh when I saw the article? Maybe it was because I had always harboured a dream of writing a film script about Marvin In Ostend, the germ of which has now been exposed to the entire Guardian readership. But mostly, I think, it's because while I may have gone on about how cool it is when greeted with the usual sceptical reaction, I didn't actually want it to "become" cool like its London namesake. Not very likely, I know, but in these novelty-hungry times anything's possible. Babyshambles at the Kursaal anyone?

2 comments:

Wyndham said...

How bizarre. The next time asks me to name a famous Belgian I'll suggest Marvin Gaye.

Perhaps not.

Dan said...

Nick, if you ever decide to follow that dream, a very close friend of mine might be able to help as he actually worked with Marvin in Ostend. He mentions his involvement here: http://www.guyd2.com/widget/contact.html - the full story is more interesting but he may or may not want to keep it to himself.